Walk with me...

Welcome and thank you for stopping by!

Join me as I share my thoughts, my world and my days with you. From recipes (I love cooking), to success nuggets and the word of God; I will be sharing with you keys to success, long life and yes...good cooking!

Let's walk...

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Crunchy Nigerian Chin-chin

So, here I was trying to make chin-chin. I made one batch and while it was nice it certainly wasn't as crunchy as I liked it. Tried again, no difference. Then I came across this recipe, and it made the tastiest crunchiest chin-chin ever and guess what? I didn't use egg! I am munching as I type and enjoying it. This was my first time trying chin-chin without egg (first time I'd heard of it even) and it came out really nice (not my words!.) This took me about 1hr 30 mins to 1hr 45 mins no joke. So...Here it is, enjoy!

What you'll need: 

800g of plain flour
60ml of milk or 1 egg & 40ml of milk
160g of granulated sugar (ground finely in a dry mill)
100g of Margarine
1.5 tsp of nutmeg
Vegetable/ Sunflower oil (for frying)


What to do:

1. Mix the sugar and milk (and egg if using) together and leave to soak. (Original recipe I used said without egg, I used egg and milk by second attempt and it came out crunchy still!)
      


(egg, milk and sugar)                          (milk and sugar)

2. In another bowl, mix the flour and ground nutmeg.

      

3. Then rub in the butter with your fingers until the flour is smooth and there are no lumps.

      

4. Add the sugar/milk mixture to the flour and mix until it forms a smooth dough. The dough will be a bit hard/ stiff. Do not add more liquid no matter how tempted you are, maybe just a few drops to ensure the dough forms if it still seems crumbly.



5. Roll out the dough gently using a rolling pin until it is flat.




6. Cut the dough into sizes as you desire.


















7. Line a colander with newspaper. Fry in hot oil and drain in the colander. 




(without egg)



(with egg)

Leave it to cool, store in an airtight container and enjoy at your leisure!



No comments:

Post a Comment