Walk with me...

Welcome and thank you for stopping by!

Join me as I share my thoughts, my world and my days with you. From recipes (I love cooking), to success nuggets and the word of God; I will be sharing with you keys to success, long life and yes...good cooking!

Let's walk...

Friday 16 November 2012

Sweet Bread Rolls without yeast

So, looking for a quick recipe to make sweet bread rolls perfect for soups or just to eat as breakfast or a snack? Well look no further. My mum had this amazing recipe that made fluffy little bread rolls and I have tried for ages to find it. Made some but it didn't quite come out the same. Until, I came across this recipe which I adapted and it came out very delicious. So here's my adaptation:

You need:

125g Plain flour
1.5 tsp of baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp of sugar
25g/ 5 tsps of butter or margarine
1/3 cup of milk

What to do:  

1. Preheat the oven to 220°C
2. Sieve together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and mix.
3. Rub in the butter/ margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk, then mix together with a round bladed knife or table knife.
5. Mix into a dough with fingers, lightly flower the bowl or a board and turn dough in it.
6. Divide into 5 or 6 portions and shape into rolls.
7. Place on a greased and floured baking tray, brush with milk and bake near the top of the oven for about 20 minutes.
8. Eat warm and enjoy!


  
NOTE
-  If you are making a roll to serve with soups you can omit the sugar or if you don't want it sweet. You can also slightly reduce the sugar if you don't want it too sweet.
- It can be a bit heavy, I actually used a bit more baking powder than the recipe called for and it came out fluffy inside not heavy. I will try it with even more baking powder, so I suggest if you want it to be a bit lighter use more baking powder, but do be careful.
- Best enjoyed warm from the oven but still a bit okay cold.
- Great accompaniment to soups or served with meals.

Hope you enjoy this! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment